SOUTH DAKOTA (USA)
1936 - WEST SIOUX FALLS SPEEDWAY
Lost Dirt Tracks facebook feature
Originally opened as a 3/4 mile dirt oval track under the name of Soo Falls Speedway, The track was running mostly Midgets at the time.
The track was reconfigured after only one year as a quarter mile layout and its name was changed to West Sioux Falls Speedway, This became the tracks most popular time for a track that did not last long.
Through this period there were some issues with big accidents causing injury and a fatality in a small period of time.
The track stopped running in 1940 and racing did not return until after the world war two motor racing ban was lifted, at this point it was renamed Sioux Falls Speedway but only lasted two more years before it closed in 1947.
The area was turned into the Lyon Fairgrounds and a new track was built just east of the original track, Some of the new track overlapped the old track.