1955 BELMONT SPEEDWAY
The Belmont Speedway was located at Cahill Oval (within Belmont Park) in the 1950's.
They had a heavy board safety fence around the oval with the speedway track around the perimeter, The football / cricket field was still in the centre, Tq's, Speedcars, Solos and sidecars all raced at the venue.
The first race meeting was held on the 4th of December 1955.
1957 BELMONT SPEEDWAY CLOSES
In 1957 the speedway track around the main ground was removed and by 1959 a complete reconstruction of Cahill Oval was carried out, Under the guidance of Keith Nancarrow, 30cm of coal ash, topped with 12cm of Maitland loam and seeded with South African couch grass, The playing surface became in all opinion the equal to the Sydney Cricket Ground.
At the same time the spear point watering system was installed.
(Editorial Allan Baker)