1972 - ECHUCA SPEEDWAY
A large community, with a well-represented club had no-where local to race during the early 1970's, The Echuca club located a disused quarry North of the Town and set about creating a speedway oval to run the Rich River 1000 in 1972.
The first meeting was well attended with assistance from surrounding clubs, Several other meeting followed but disaster struck when a season of heavy rain filled the quarry with water and drowned the track.
Hot Rod racing from the Echuca Pit. Photo: Herb Lummis
After this the club was forced to run its annual Rich River 1000 at other tracks such as Bendigo and Swan Hill, After a lot of hard work and even more pumping the Echuca Car Club re-invented itself in 1977 under the leadership of Ron Williams and re-applied for a track licence in order to hold further meetings, That was reportedly the last meeting held before the venue closed permanently.