1946 LOWOOD AIRFIELD CIRCUIT
The Lorwood circuit was used from 1946 untill 1966, the 2.82 mile circuit was built using the former world war two airstrip as the main straight as well as some of the smaller taxi roads were used to complete the track layout.
The circuit was first used in June of 1946 for the Queensland Grand Prix with a few minor meetings after that.
In 1956 the Queensland Racing Drivers Club took over the running of the circuit and turned Lorwood into the states premier motor racing venue, Lorwood hosted many high profile events in its time including, Rounds of the Australian Drivers Championship in every year from 1957 to 1962.
Twice the Australian Tourist Trophy in 1959 and 1963, The Australian Grand Prix in 1960, Lorwood created it own four hour race for production sedans in 1964, 1965 and 1966, along with this the track hosted the second Australian Touring Car Championship in 1961 and also the Australian Formular 2 Championship in June of 1964.
The venue would close in 1966.