1932 - STEELE COUNTY SPEEDWAY
Steele County Speedway opened in 1932 as a 1/2 mile dirt oval track within the Owatonna County Fairgrounds, this was a popular era for Midgets and the bigger open wheel cars, often featuring at the local fair.
The motorsport ban because of World War 2 would see the track close in 1941 but reopen again in 1946 after the war.
During the 1950's Stock Car racing was added to the program and the tracks name was changed to Steele City Speedway.
By the 1980's and 1990's the program was dominated by Late Model, Sprintcars as well as Modified racing.
Interest in speedway fell away in the last few years and so the Fair board ended racing after nearly eighty years, The speedway closed in 2010.