1904 - PERTH OVAL - LOTON PARK
Earlier known as Loton Park Reserve, the oval and the tennis club were known as one venue, It wasn't until 1924 that the two became divided by fence lines and took on their own identities.
Loton Park Tennis Club is the 2nd oldest continuously operating tennis club in Western Australia, The clubhouse and grounds are, in fact heritage listed.
The grounds were named after Sir William Loton, who sold the City of Perth the Loton paddocks for six thousand pounds in 1904, Sir William was a wealthy merchant, member of the West Australian Parliament and at the time Mayor of Perth, It was in 1904 that Loton Grounds became a public reserve.
At the time of purchase, tennis had found favour with Perth's wealthy and the demand for courts was significant by 1916, several grass tennis courts were built , it was also in 1916 that the City of Perth was approached regarding the use of Loton Park for a proposed new tennis club, The inaugural meeting of the Loton Park Tennis Club was held on the 4th of December 1916, two more courts were built in 1917, and finally a club house.
1924 - PERTH OVAL SPEEDWAY
In 1924 the adjoining oval was used for Speedway racing, Motorcycles raced around the perimeter on a grass track, The Speedway venture was short lived, The opening of Claremont Showgrounds in 1926 gave competitors some were else to race.
1932 - MAJOR UPGRADE
Extensions were built in 1932, and the tri-tree hedge that divided the tennis club from Perth Oval was planted in 1947 and extended in in 1955, This hedge was removed by the Town of Vincent in 2006 but a replacement was replanted.
The grounds attendance record was in 1969 when 26,760 people attended an Australian Rules Football Game, The ground became home to the East Perth Football Club, In 1997 Loton Park Tennis Club was officially listed with the Heritage Council of Western Australia as a place of historical significance, In later years the grounds became rectangular in shape and hosted the Perth Glory Soccer Club.