1950's CALDER PARK RACEWAY
The Calder Park Thunderdome started started life as a Dirt Speedway track carved into a paddock on a local farmers property, Clayton petrol station owner Patrick Hawthorn was one of the locals that built and raced at the track.
It is beleived that this track was built over when the Thunderdome was built.
1988 CALDER THUNDERDOME
The Thunderdome is a 1.8km or 1.1mile Tri Oval paved speedway with twenty four degree banking on turns one to four, In the seventy's the owner of Calder Park Raceway, Bob Jane was visiting the USA and researching the posibility of building the first Nascar track outside of America, by 1981 a deal had been done with Bill France Jnr to bring Nascar to Australia.
The construction costing many millions of dollars started in 1983 and the track was completed and opened on the 3rd of January 1987.