1946 - ATLANTIC RURAL EXPOSITION FAIRGROUNDS TRACK
Atlantic Rural Exposition Fairgrounds Track opened to the world of motor racing on the 12th of October 1946, just after the end of the second world war.
This 1/2 mile dirt track was for duel use. Previously the track was exclusive to horse racing. The winner of that first car racing event was Ted Horn in a Indy type open wheel car.
1948 - STRAWBERRY HILL RACEWAY
By 1948 the speedway was more commonly known as Strawberry Hill Raceway, a far more appealing name. The track had also joined with some others to become a part of the Nascar schedule.
1953 - STRAWBERRY HILL RACEWAY
In 1953 the track began hosting Grand National Series events for Nascars. Lee Petty would be the first driver to win one of these events.
1955 - STRAWBERRY HILL RACEWAY
In 1955 the ownership of the track changed. Paul Sawyer and famed racer Joe Weatherly bought the venue and by the 10th of March 1964 meetings on the 1/2 mile track were being held under lights.
1968 - STRAWBERRY HILL RACEWAY
In 1968 Strawberry Hill Raceway received it first paved surface.
1988 - RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY
During 1988 the track went through some major upgrades. firstly to its current size of .75 miles in length, also the track was reshaped to it current shape, the track surface was resealed and the lighting was upgraded. It was at this point the name of the venue was changed to Richmond International Raceway.