1946 - MARIBYRNONG - KIRJON SPEEDWAY
Maribyrnong Speedway was built in 1946, the site at the time was a undeveloped football ground, but later went through a name change to Kirjon Speedway shortley after opening when the Kirjon Speedway Company took over the running of the track, The speedway opened to the public in October of 1946 with 7,000 people attending, the speedway operated succesfully for some time only to close for a short period before a new owner in Fred Tracey took over.
(use controls to pause - forward or reverse 12 images)
Nostalgia Speedway Association of NSW inc facebook photo feature
Keith Cantwell Reg Jones and Eddie Cotton working on the Reg Jones machine prior to racing. Photo: unknown.
1940's - KEITH HARVEY
The number 3 speedcar is Allan Carters car from Werribee and ran at Maribyrnong Speedway in the late 1940's, Pictured in the car is a very young Keith Harvey who ran the car in the mechanics races.
1951 - TRACEY'S SPEEDWAY
Fred Tracey took over the grounds in 1951 and remamed the venue Tracey's Speedway.
The speedway would go on to attract many national and international stars over the years along with sadley a handfull of deaths.
The speedway would close in 1964.