1950's MARONG RD HOT ROD TRACK
Marong Road Hot Rod track and later Speedway was built in an old gold mining site West of Bendigo, It was reported as Bendigo's first and best remembered circuit, It was started in the 1950's probably by Mr J McCusky and ran on and off for several years.
Peter Sheehan, then President of the Bendigo Speedway Club (G.C.S.D.A) took over the track and held his debut meeting on the 23rd of January 1977, Peter was assisted in his efforts by Ken Gordon, Harold Holt and Malcolm Pendlebury,
This opening meeting offering Trophies and prizemoney of $1,000 catered for all classes of saloon's including C Class, plus the Open Wheeler classes of Hot Rods, Sprint Cars and Mini Modifieds.
Unfortunately later meetings at the track drew little support except for local drivers and some drivers from the North East, It lasted about two years before finally closing due to environmental issues in around 79-80.
The environmental problem was because of the previous Gold Mining in the area there was a large presence of arsenic in the area, a product used in Gold Mining.
2009 MARONG RD HOT ROD TRACK LOCATION
The Red Calcine sands, former Speedway site is located approximatly 3.5km to the west of the Bendigo Town Hall and is generally bounded by Marong Road to the North, Specimen Hill Channel to the East, Specimen Hill Channel to the South, The site is Crown land and described as Parcel Number P 128037.
(Hover over photo and click play 3 images)
Herb Lummis recalls: the old speedway site is seriously polluted with arsenic as a result of the Gold mining and that the local council has erected a very solid steel mesh fence around the site, and threatens heavy fines to anyone breaching it.